Sunday

Book Review - The Natural Way to Draw by Kimon Nicolaides

I haven't finished this book yet, so my review is a little premature, I guess, but I have been working at it long enough that I think I can tell my readers what I think of it anyway.

This book was recommended by Janet Rogers, a Portrait Artist that I greatly admire.

I had no ideal what I was getting myself in for when I bought this book! It is not just a book, it really is an entire drawing course in itself! It's literally like a college degree in a book!

There are some very mixed feelings about this book amongst artists - some feel it is just too much, too time consuming, and others enjoy the extensiveness of the book.

Myself, I am enjoying it. Yes, it is going to take me a while to work through all the courses in this book - but I know that I will come out of it as a better drawer.  This book is especially recommended if you want to paint figures, any kind of figures. Yes, the drawings in this book may look almost like scribbles, and that is because Nicolaides' approach is, as the title of the book suggests, a natural approach, more of an emotional approach than an academic one,  but if you want to be looser and more passionate and expressive in your drawings and paintings, as I do, then these are the kinds of exercises you need.


It is suggested that you have a live model to work from, but I don't have that and I use this book in conjunction with a website that I found for figure and gesture drawing practice, and it seems to work very well.

If you want something quick and easy, this probably is not the book to start with. But why not give it a try? Even if you are not ready for it now, you might want to give it a go later.

No comments:

Post a Comment